The Meeker Island Lock and Dam
Located just north of the Lake Street Bridge, the Meeker Island Lock and Dam was the first lock and dam facility built on the Upper Mississippi River. The facility also known as “Lock and Dam No. 2″ or “Government Lock and Dam” took almost eight years to build, but was only in operation from 1907 to 1912. After The Meeker Island Lock and Dam ruins were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. After the hydroelectric Lock and Dam No. 1 came on line to power Saint Paul’s Ford Plant in 1917 the Meeker Island dam was demolished. Tops of the old lock walls become visible during low water periods on the river. The Dam ruins were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.