Gethsemane Episcopal Church Then and Now
Gethsemane Episcopal began with a handful of people in 1856. By 1881, the congregation had expanded and a plan to erect a new church was implemented. The design was executed by Architect Edward Stebbins modeled the building on small Gothic style churches in rural England. The buildings broad proportions are considered unusual for churches designed in the late 19th century. Gethsemane’s historic downtown home is one of the oldest extant churches in Minneapolis. The neighborhood surrounding the old place when it was built was disappeared entirely, but the congregation has received mission funds from the diocese and has become an active part of downtown’s faith community. Considered significant for its Gothic Revival architecture the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.