S. C. Gale house on Marquette Then and Now
Samuel C. Gale was born September 15th, 1827, at Royalston, Massachusetts. He apprenticed to learn the tanner’s trade until 17 years of age. He studied at the academies of New Salem, Shelburne Falls, and West Brattleboro, Vermont and graduated from Yale in 1854. Gale went on to attend Harvard law school one year and taught school two years. In 1857 he came to Minneapolis, and the autumn of the same year, was admitted to the bar. After a year or two he discontinued the practice of law and got into real estate business, where he made his fortune. Mr. Gale lived in this home on Marquette and 4th. Gale was married October 15th, 1861, to Miss Susan Damon, of Massachusetts. The couple had five children. In 1880 the area around the house saw more and more commercial development. In 1889 the Gale family moved into the incredible mansion on Harmon Place pictured below. Part of his lot on Marquette and 4th was sold and a six story bank building went up right next to the old place. The house became a bike shop before it was finally torn down in 1903. The imposing rock pile on Harmon Place was demolished in 1933.