The University Club Then and Now
The University Club’s Summit Avenue Clubhouse was completed and opened for member use in 1913. The building was designed by Reed and Stem, designers of Grand Central Station in New York City, The Saint Paul Hotel, the Downtown Saint Paul Athletic Club and quite a few Summit Avenue homes. The clubhouse was modeled after London’s great turn-of-the-century city clubs, both in architecture and purpose. In the 1930′s a pool was added and after the second world war the University Club was the first of the three clubs to open its membership to women. In recent years the club has been restored and updated with a modern fitness center.