Swell Shopping at Southdale
Groundbreaking for Southdale took place in 1954. 800 construction workers were used to build the two-story, 800,000 ft shopping mall. When it was completed two years later at a cost of cost twenty million dollars, the mall had 5,200 parking spaces and room for 72 tenants. Southdale was developed by the Dayton’s and their department store anchored the mall along with Donaldson’s, Walgreens Pharmacy and Woolworth. On October 8, 1956, 40,000 visitors showed up for the grand opening.