Saint Mary Romanian Orthodox Church Then and Now
The cornerstone for Saint Mary Romanian Orthodox Church was laid on June 14th, 1914. The congregation all pitched in to build this replica of the Church in SanNicolau Mare, a small village in western Romania, in less than six months. In 1926 the little Church on Woodbridge Avenue was visited by Her Majesty Queen Maria. The official consecration of the building had to wait until 1935, when the first Romanian Bishop, His Grace Bishop Policarp Morusca, came to St. Paul and consecrated the Church, making the alter holy by inserting religious relics and dust from Romania, in the altar table leg. Today St. Mary Church is one of the many Romanian Orthodox Episcopate parishes, missions, communities, monasteries, and institutions throughout the United States and Canada. Services are held in Romanian and English every Sunday.