St. Peder’s Then and Now
St. Peder’s Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church adopted a constitution on March 13, 1884. The charter members were men and women from various Danish Lutheran backgrounds. Some were part of the Inner Mission movement in Denmark and others were part of the Grundtvigian movement. The first pastor, Adam Dan was called from Denmark and began working at St. Peder’s in October 1884. Later that same year, the congregation bought a lot on the corner of 20th Avenue S. and 9th Street and built the first St. Peder’s church. The building was dedicated on June 29,1887. Services were held in Danish at the downtown church for 33 years. On March 7, 1920,congregation gathered for worship, the church burned to the ground. The congregation sold the property and began a campaign to rebuild in a growing neighborhood. A new church, located at 3149 35th Avenue South was dedicated in May 1921. English became the dominant language, but in the 1920′s there were still two Danish-language services every month. By 1932, there was only one Sunday school class in Danish. In 1959, the property of church’s the present location at 4600 East 42nd Street, was acquired. On April 1, 1962, the first service was conducted in the new sanctuary. A hand-carved pulpit and baptismal font were all moved from the old church to the new one. These days the old church is occupied by the First Church of God.