A Wink at the Willard

Built around the corner from the old Minnesota State Capital building in 1889, the  Colonnade Apartment building was originally a 6 story structure.  The top two floors were removed following a tragic fire on December 13th, 1955.

This fine pile of bricks has changed names a few times over the years. Originally opened as the Willard Hotel, the building was also known as the Alexandria Apartments and the Rex Am Apartments.

StarWillard

 

Downtown St. Paul in 1892
Downtown St. Paul in1892