Refinement at the Hotel St. Francis

The Hotel St. Francis building was erected for George Benz and Sons on the site of the old St. Paul Library after it was destroyed by a fire in 1915. Fred C. Norlander was awarded the building contract.The 215 room St.Francis Hotel and the New Palace Theater opened up in …

Lutheran Brotherhood Home Office

The International Style, Lutheran Brotherhood Home Office at was completed in 1956. The building is remembered as one of the first to incorporate curtain-wall construction. The lower level opened on a sunken garden and the ivy covered walls of the Minneapolis Club. Two floors were added during 1967-1968. Minnegasco moved …

See You at the Sheridan

The Sheridan was built around the corner from the old Minneapolis Auditorium and Lyceum Theater in 1926. The hotel was one of at least six brick courts at the southern edge of downtown. In 1938 one could get a single with a bath of $2.00. Many of these old places …

A Hotel of Rare Charm

The Hampshire Arms Hotel spent the better part of the last century standing on the corner of 4th street and 9th. The hotel was popular for its lovely courtyard. Famous doorman. George Route greeted guests at the Hampshire Arms for fifty years. When he passed away in 1953, Jet magazine …