Como Lake was was named after the famous lake in the Italian Alps by potato farmer, Charles Perry in 1848. A few years later, Henry McKenty, the “King of Real Estate Dealers”, came to St. Paul and took advantage a local boom to buy and sell land around the lake. McKenty used his own money to build a zigzagged road across land he didn’t own, from downtown St. Paul to his resort community. McKenty’s “Como Out-Lots” were platted on the east side of the lake. After the Civil War, three hotels operated along the shore. In 1895, the city dredged Lake Como. During the 1920s, problems with maintaining water levels in Como Lake kept city officials busy. Drought and leakage forced St. Paul to pump thousands of gallons of water into the lake. In 1921, electric pumping machinery was installed. A couple years later, the city drained the entire lake to plug leaks. In 1925, St. Paul gave up and the northern part of Lake Como was dammed and filled. These days, the deepest point in the 68 acre body of water is just over fifteen feet. A pavilion the west side of the lake contains a full service restaurant and features theatrical performances and concerts during the summer months.