The Pantages Then and Now

The Minneapolis Pantages Theater opened as a vaudeville house in 1916. The original, Beaux-Arts style building, designed by the Minneapolis architectural firm of Kees and Colburn was originaly  operated by Winnipeg theater tycoon, Alexander Pantages’ entertainment consortia. At the height of his empire, the Greek immigrant owned and operated 84 …

Horn Towers

Built in 1971 on land donated by Charles Horn, these 22 floor buildings contain nearly 500 units. The poured-in-place towers are grouped around a sunken courtyard and organic garden on a one-block site just south of Lake Street. In 2004 the city allocated $7,000,000 to repair the cracking and general …

Refinement at the Hotel St. Francis

The Hotel St. Francis building was erected for George Benz and Sons on the site of the old St. Paul Library after it was destroyed by a fire in 1915. Fred C. Norlander was awarded the building contract.The 215 room St.Francis Hotel and the New Palace Theater opened up in …

Lyndale and the Basilica Then and Now

You can’t tell by looking at this old photo, but the place where Hennepin and Lyndale Avenues meet was almost as big a traffic snarl in 1943 as it is today. It may have been worse. Back then Minneapolis had close to 100,000 more residents and many more shopping working …