On Dayton Avenue Then and Now

The big old Greek Revival at the corner of Avon and Dayton was built for the widow Susan Welch and her family in 1894. Originally from Henderson, Minnesota, She married an Irishman named Thomas Welch in 1857. An ambitious man, Welch established the Sibley County Bank and organized the Pacific …

The Empire Building

The seven-story  Empire Building at 360 North Robert Street was completed in 1891. Designed by St. Paul architect Clarence H. Johnston, the Jacobsville Sandstone, red brick  office and banking building was formerly known as the Manhattan Building and the Capital National Bank Building. At the turn of the century, the famous …