Calhoun Boulevard and 36th

Originally called by the Dakota “Mde Maka Ska”, which meant White Earth Lake, settlers later named it with the Dakota name “Medoza” or Loon Lake. The United States Secretary of War, John C. Calhoun, sent the Army to survey the area that would surround Fort Snelling in 1817. Calhoun had …

A Rock for the Pond Brothers

In the 1830′s Samuel and Gideon Pond helped set up missions at Chief Cloud Man’s Dakota village on the shore of Lake Calhoun. The Pond brothers came from Connecticut in hopes of converting the Dakota to Christianity and New England farming practices. They also devised a Dakota alphabet and began …