The Mighty Minnesota Building

St. Paul’s Minnesota Building became Art Deco as it was being built.  In the hopes of attracting more business downtown, Architect Charles H. Hausler worked with a consortium of developers to  revamp a conventional design and create the city’s first Moderne high rise. The building’s exterior paved the way for …

Calhoun Boulevard and 36th

Originally called by the Dakota “Mde Maka Ska”, which meant White Earth Lake, settlers later named it with the Dakota name “Medoza” or Loon Lake. The United States Secretary of War, John C. Calhoun, sent the Army to survey the area that would surround Fort Snelling in 1817. Calhoun had …

Saint Paul’s Municipal Menagerie

In 1873 the city of Saint Paul acquired 300 acres of land around Lake Como for use as a public park. Saint Paul’s experiment with a municipal menagerie began in 1897 when the city fenced pasture in the park to hold a gift of three deer. Como’s Art Deco zoological …

Foshay’s Skyscratcher

Completed in 1929, the Foshay Tower was the first skyscraper in Minneapolis the tallest building in town until 1971. The Art Deco building modeled on the Washington Monument was the creation of multimillionaire, Wilbur B. Foshay. A real estate developer who prospered in the public utilities business, Foshay lost his …

Where Men Meet Men

Built at 9th and Lasalle in 1919 the old YMCA building in downtown Minneapolis originally had a low-rise wing to the north which contained the swimming pool. The wing was demolished for the construction of LaSalle Plaza in 1989. The Gothic Revival tower was renovated as 121-unit apartment complex in …