Built in 1915, the limestone, terra cotta, and brick Hamm Building in downtown Saint Paul was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.When the Capitol Theatre was built into the Hamm building in 1920. It was the largest, most costly, and most elaborate movie palace in the Upper Midwest. Today the [...]
In 1857 a small gathering of eight people raised $2,000 and built the first Westminster Presbyterian Church on Fourth Street in Minneapolis. The Westminster congregation grew rapidly and in 1883 a new larger church was built on Seventh Street and Nicollet Avenue. Some twelve years later the building was heavily damaged by fire, forcing [...]
St. Paul’s historic Landmark Center was completed in 1902. Originally, the building served as the United States Post Office, Court House, and Custom House. It was designed by Willoughby J. Edbrooke, who served as Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury Department in 1891-92. The exterior is pink granite ashlar with a hipped red tile [...]
The Church of Saint Stephen is an historic Roman Catholic church located in Whittier. The neighborhood is where entrepreneurs and businessmen built their mansions. The church was built with sandstone, brick, concrete, and copper in 1889-1891. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
The Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Building was designed by locally notable firm Kees and Colburn.The arches in the top floor windows are modeled after Louis Sullivan’s designs. The corners of the building are subtly furrowed in at the bottom and rise toward a flaring cornice at the top, echoing John Wellborn Root’s design of the [...]