The Kenwood neighborhood was platted for residential use in the late 1880s. recognizing the need for water pressure in the hilly residential area, the Minneapolis City Council adopted a resolution to build a steel water tank on Lowry Hill in 1910. Designed by Minneapolis City Engineer, Frederick William Cappelen, the 110 foot tall octagonal brick and stone Kenwood Park WaterTower is ornamented with projecting ribs, narrow rectangular windows, Lombard bands, narrow rectangular fenestration, and Romanesque-arched battlements. The city quit using the tower to store water in 1954. The building has been used to store civil defense and 2-way radio communications equipment ever since. After an adaptive reuse proposal to convert the tower into condominiums was defeated by neighborhood groups in 1979, the Kenwood Park Water Tower is a designated Minneapolis city landmark.