St. Paul’s Minnesota Building became Art Deco as it was being built. In the hopes of attracting more business downtown, Architect Charles H. Hausler worked with a consortium of developers to revamp a conventional design and create the city’s first Moderne high rise. The building’s exterior paved the way for buildings like the First National Bank Building, Ramsey County Courthouse and the St. Paul Women’s City Club . The Minnesota Building was completed in 1929. A thirteenth story was added the following year. The the penthouse floor used the same limestone and window pattern, but a new roof replaced the original saw tooth crown pictured here. The Minnesota Building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 2009. The following year a developer began converting the building into rental housing units.