A Hotel of Refinement

StFrancis1

The Hotel St. Francis building was erected for George Benz and Sons on the site of the old St. Paul Library after it was destroyed by a fire in 1915. Fred C. Norlander was awarded the building contract.The 215 room St.Francis Hotel and the New Palace Theater opened up in 1916.The name of the theater […]

Continue reading →

Remembrance Advertising

bigelow4

  Brown & Bigelow was founded in 1896 by Herbert Bigelow and Hiram Brown. Throughout its history, Brown & Bigelow has been a St. Paul resident. In its first 11 years, the firm outgrew three locations and then settled on a 17-acre site that was once the Lexington horse race track in the Hamline-Midway area […]

Continue reading →

Down at the Depot

depot2

Built in 1898 The Milwaukee Road Depot and Freight House on the corner of Washington and 3rd Avenue was the “head station” and end of the line for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Company. At its peak in 1920, the facility served 29 trains a day. The Depot’s original 140 foot tower […]

Continue reading →

Without Drugs or Knives

Sanitarium

Dr. Reinhardt Sullwold opened his first Chiropractic Sanitarium on Stevens Avenue in 1903. Most of his patients were injured farmers. They came in by train from as far away as North Dakota and often stayed through the winter in hopes of being able to return to their fields in the spring. After Sullwold passed away […]

Continue reading →