Opened in 1884, the West was the first grand hotel in Minneapolis. There were 407 rooms, 140 baths, and an immense lobby. John T. West, the hotel’s first owner and proprieto, got his start as manager of the Nicollet House. He was quite successful that his rich uncle, Charles W. West, offered to bankroll a [...]
That’s the busy intersection of Fourth and Nicollet in 1902 . Minneapolis City Hall and Hennepin County Courthouse was still under construction and gas buggies had to share the road with bicycles, horses and street cars.